Sunday, June 5, 2016

Ghosts of Sand Creek-MTEP4

Mystery Tidbits Episode 4-Ghosts of Sand Creek

Listen at

It can also be found on iTunes

Music for this episode was provided by

On November 29th, 1864, Cheyenne and Arapahoe Native Americans awoke to the sight of approximately seven hundred men of the Third Colorado Regiment racing toward their camp at Sand Creek where inevitably most of those Native Americans would lose their lives.

Prior to the attack the territorial governor at the time, John Evans, made it clear for all Colorado citizens to dispose of all hostile Indians on the plains. A meeting which took place before the attack at Sand Creek, which included several Indian chiefs along with John Evans and Colonel John Chivington, the military commander of the territorial militia, concluded with the Native Chiefs wanting to find locations where they would not be considered hostile and where they could find refuge and be placed under protection of the military.

The Cheyenne and Arapahoe Indians were told to travel to Fort Lyon where they would find protection. Unfortunately, when they arrived, they were told that their was no more room at the fort and were instructed to travel forty miles northeast of the fort where they would still be considered under protection of the military.

On that morning in November many Native Americans began to panic and ran away from an approaching regiment. Black Kettle, a Cheyenne Chief, stood in front of his lodge and an American flag telling his people to not fear, that they were safe. Black Kettle was wrong. The regiment massacred the Native Americans killing their men, women and children. Witnesses claimed that some men of the regiment went as far as to carve the genitals from the women’s bodies and stretch them across their saddle horns.

Barbaric was this incident and it no doubt left an imprint on those who were involved with it. Perhaps it even made an imprint on the land itself. Perhaps the spirits of those who passed on that day still live in the area. A report given by a buffalo hunter almost one year after the incident is one that is unexplainable. The hunter claimed to have seen a group of Cheyenne Natives camped by the shores of Sand Creek. When he sent his scout to speak to the natives no one was there when he arrived. The scout claimed that though he saw nothing there he felt that something very wrong had gone on in the area. Eleven months later the hunter saw a similar scene in the same area again, but this time he also heard chanting.

Another account, which happened in 1911, was from a women who claimed to have heard crying. She searched the area for hours with no luck of finding the source of the mysterious cries.

Was this incident horrific enough to leave an imprint so clear that people for years after would be able to view and hear its events. Perhaps it is not a case of residual energy and it is just the spirits from that November day not able to leave the place of their unfair defeat.

No comments:

Post a Comment